Rules for the Departmental Libraries Attached to Various Academic Departments of the University
A collection of books and other library materials generally transferred from the Central Library and/ or acquisitioned directly, attached to an academic department under the University for intensive use by its members, will be regarded as a Departmental Library, whose major policies and grants for books, periodicals and binding will be under direct control of University authorities.
The following rules, as subsidiary to the Rules of Libraries of the University of Calcutta, are laid down for their maintenance, improvement and utilization in the interest of the readers concerned :
- A departmental library will remain under the care and responsibility of the Head of the Department for its organization and administration with the help of the University Librarian, and other staff of the Department.
- Days and hours of service of a departmental library will be from 10 am to 5.30 pm on all working days of the University. In case of demand for longer hours or change of library hours, approval of the Library Committee is to be obtained.
- Membership of a departmental library will be confined to the teachers, research scholars, registered or recognized as such by the University and regular students of that department only.
- Teachers, research scholars, and students of other departments may be allowed the reading facilities on special permission of the Head of the Department/ University Librarian.
- Others may be allowed by the Library Committee under terms and conditions, if any, that may be determined by the Library Committee from time to time and applicants whom the Head of the Department/ University Librarian may at his discretion allow facilities for a period ordinarily not exceeding three months against an amount of Rs 100 under the rules of the Calcutta University Libraries.
- Ordinarily not more than 2 volumes at a time will be allowed to be used by a student in the Reading Room and such volumes are to returned in course of the day.
- Terms and conditions of reading facilities of all other categories of members will be the same as laid down in case of such members in the Central Library.
- Membership cards of all categories (excepting the University teachers), including lending cards when admissible, will be issued only by the Central Library under the Rules of Calcutta University Libraries. Library Clearance Certificate will be issued by the Central Library on production of the departmental clearance certificate.
- Teachers of a department having a departmental library will be, under usual procedure, allowed to borrow for home use not more that 15 volumes at a time for a period of 60 days under the rules of the Calcutta University Libraries; it being provided that they may borrow from the Central Library, or from their own departmental library, or from both, but in no case exceeding the total of 15 volumes at a time for a period of 60 days.
- Research scholars will be allowed to borrow not more than 5 volumes at a time for a period of 60 days from their respective departmental libraries against a refundable deposit of Rs 2000 for the scholars under the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology, Agriculture and Veterinary Science. For Scholars of other faculties, a refundable deposit of Rs 1000 only is applicable in the manner prescribed for the purpose.
Provisionally enrolled Ph.D. students be allowed to the reading facilities of the University Library without any charge.
Provisionally enrolled Ph.D. students, who would like to have the facilitiy of borrowing books, have to pay a non-refundable annual fee of Rs 500 only against which the concerned students may borrow at most 2 books each at a time for 30 days. Moreover all provisionally enrolled Ph.D. students must obtain Library Clearance Certificate from the Central Library before the final registration as a Ph.D. student.
- If books borrowed by persons mentioned in 4 (a) above be not returned in spite of reminders, the matter is to be reported to the Library Committee for such action as may be considered necessary for the purpose.
- The students prosecuting a regular course of study directly conducted by the University in a department having a departmental library, will be allowed to borrow two volumes at a time for a period 15 days from that library against their lending cards issued from the Central Library under Rules of the Calcutta University Libraries.
- Overdue charges for students and research scholars retaining books for the first 4 days after the due date Re 1 per volume (between first day and fourth day) 5th day to 7th day Rs 2 per volume (between fifth day and seventh day). And for the subsequent period, i.e. after the 7th day @ Re 1 per day/per volume.
Cash Challans for Library fine are available in all campuses.
- Students and research scholars found to be defaulters in respect of returning library books more than twice in course of two consecutive months or those who will not return books after a third reminder, may be denied the privileges and facilities of the departmental library, both reading and lending.
- At the end of each course of study conducted by the University and ten days prior to commencement of the final examination in different subjects, all regular student-members must obtain Library Clearance Certificates issued in their names from the respective departmental libraries on surrendering Library lending cards. Those regular student-members who have lost any or both the lending cards, must submit a declaration to that effect to the University Librarian through the respective Head of the Department in order to obtain Library Clearance Certificate. For each lost card, the student shall have to pay a fine of Rs 25 only. It may be specifically mentioned that no Admit Card is to be issued to a student without a Library Clearance Certificate. The departmental libraries shall collect such library clearance certificates from the Central Library.
- All library books lost by the borrowers be replaced by them by new copies. If copies are not available in the market, a well-bound xerox copy is to be given to the library failing which the current price of the books not returned or double the original price whichever is higher is to be paid by the borrower concerned.
- Library cards are not transferable. In case of loss of a library card, a duplicate card may be issued at the discretion of the University Librarian for which a fee of Rs 25 per card will have to be paid. Another duplicate library card for students and research scholars be issued against a charge of Rs 100 per card. Thereafter no duplicate card shall be issued.
- Other members of the staff of a department may be allowed at the discretion of the Head of the Department/ University Librarian to borrow books from their departmental library, if any, against their lending cards issued by the Central Library under the rules of the Calcutta University Libraries.
- No text book will be issued out except on special permission of the Head of the Department/ University Librarian to anyone besides teachers, research scholars, and students who have been allowed borrowing facilities.
- In extremely urgent cases, facilities of lending and borrowing will be allowed in between different departmental libraries and between departmental libraries and the Central Library on Inter-library loan system; it being provided at the time that such facilities are not allowed between a departmental library and any library outside Calcutta University except through the Central Library.
- Publications such as conventional reference books, rare books and books known to have gone out-of-print, periodicals, report, etc., books of special collections and books marked as "not to be removed" are not to be issued out except under special circumstances only on written permission of the Head of the Department/ University Librarian.
- If a depositor does not claim refund of his/her library deposit within three years from the date of cessation of his/her membership of the library, the deposit money will be forfeited.
- All books and other library materials for a departmental library are to be procured and purchased by the University Librarian, on the recommendation of the Head of the Department concerned, against the allocated fund of the University book budget for the department and against any grant or donation or fund received by or allocated to the department.
- All such books and also books received as gifts by a department are to be accessioned by the Central Library and departmental library in the respective accession register. The departmental library shall catalogue and classify all documents of the departmental library. The Deputy Librarian/Assistant Librarian of the Campus will look after accessioning and processing work of the books and journals of the departmental libraries.
- The University Librarian will subscribe to periodicals for a departmental library on the recommendation of the Head of the Department concerned within the fund allocated for the purpose of the department by the University authorities.
- The departmental library is to pursue matters relating to non-receipt of any issue of periodicals in due course under intimation to the Central Library.
- The departmental library is to maintain a holding-list of all periodicals and serials.
- On receipt of journals from the suppliers their entries should be recorded in the periodical register of respective departments.
- Binding work required for books and periodicals of a departmental library is to be done under orders of the Departmental Head out of the funds allocated for the purpose by the University Authority and at approved rates by the binders enlisted in the panel of binders maintained by the Central Library.
- Periodic inspection of departmental libraries, including stock-taking is to be arranged by the University Librarian in cooperation with the Head of the Department concerned and report of this is to be placed before the Library Committee.
- Statistical records of all activities of a departmental library is to be maintained by the departmental library and quarterly report of this is to be placed before the Library Committee through University Librarian.
- A consolidated annual report of all such activities in a prescribed form is to be forwarded by the department concerned at the end of each year to the University Librarian for necessary inclusion in the annual report of the University.
- The departmental libraries shall collect all the charges and library fines as per rules of libraries of the University of Calcutta from the department(s) itself and deposit them to the University Cash Counter on the next working day.
Departmental libraries of the University must function strictly in accordance with the rules of the University Library. Hence no departmental library would be allowed to change any rule of the University Library including the matter of issuance of more number of books to any user to the departmental library without the parmission of the Library Committee as ratified by the Syndicate.
- Decisions, procedures and practice in all other matters concerning the administration and service of departmental libraries that have not been mentioned above herein are to be guided by the Rules of the Calcutta University Libraries.