Rules for Guidance of Boarders
- Postgraduate students’ Halls are reserved for post-graduate students of Calcutta University.
- Admission to the undergraduate and postgraduate Halls will be made on recommendation of the Committees constituted for the purpose by the Syndicate, University of Calcutta.
- Application for admission must be made on a prescribed form available from Sales Counter, University of Calcutta.
- Admission in a hall is for one academic session only (July-June). On the expiry of this session a student shall cease to be a boarder of the Hall in which he/she resided. The postgraduate examinee-boarders may be permitted to stay form July till the end of their examinations on payment of usual charges.
- The allotment of rooms, seats and directions as to the use of lavatory, bathing places, kitchen, store- room, roof, etc. will be entirely at the discretion of the Superintendent/In-Charge of the hall.
- Every examinee-boarder is to clear in advance the seat rent and other charges payable to University of Calcutta up to the date of the completion of his respective examination before submission of the examination fee.
His/her seat will be treated as vacant and his/her name will be removed form the rolls of the hall from the beginning of the next month.
- A student once admitted as a boarder must pay in advance the charges (for 12 months) at the time of admission.
(Explanation-if a boarder desires to leave a Hall any time after admission, he/she shall have to pay the seat and other charges payable to the University of Calcutta for the remaining days of the month).
- In order to withdraw from a hall a boarder must give the Superintendent at least 1 month’s notice in writing.
The boarders on admission will have to pay the following charges (subject to revision from time to time)
|1. Admission fee equivalent to 1 month’s seat rent||Rs 35/ Rs 40|
|2. Seat rent for the session i.e. July to June||Rs 35/ Rs 40 per month|
|3. Furniture fee for the session||Rs 10 X 12|
|4. Utensil fee for the session||Rs 10 X 12|
|5. Electricity charge of Rs 80 per month from the month of publication of admission list till the end of the session|
Boarders, on admission, will also have to pay one-time refundable caution deposit of Rs 300 which may be refundable to the boarder at the end of the boardeship tenure subject to fulfilment of certain conditions.
Delay fine : Students who fail to take re-admission as boarders within the last date, will have to pay a delay fine of paisa fifty per day (subject to be revised from time to time). For research scholars, a delay fine of Re 1 per day is imposed.
Those boarders who fail to take re-admission for the current session or are refused readmission due to disciplinary action have to leave the hall immediately and their names will be removed from the rolls of the hall.
For Research Scholars’ Hostel :
|1. Admission fee equivalent to 1 month’s seat rent||Rs 200/-|
|2. Seat rent||Rs 200/- per month|
|3. Utensil fee||Rs 10/- per month|
|4. Furniture fee||Rs 10/- per month|
|5. Electricity charge||Rs 80/- per month|
|6. Caution deposit (refundable)||Rs 500/- (one-time)|
Clearance Certificate :
Examinee-boarders must produce Clearance Certificates from the hall superintendents in respect of payment of seat rent, electricity charge, messing and other charges at the time of submitting fees and also before admit cards for the examination are issued. List of selected boarders shall be sent to the Secretaries of U.C.A.C., U.C.S.T.A. and Law.
- Every Hall shall be in charge of a resident Superintendent, but if necessary, one Assistant Superintendent may be appointed. The Superintendent shall be responsible for the proper management of the hall and for ensuing observance of the rules of Discipline.
- A roll shall be called both in the morning and in the evening and boarders must be present in the Hall to respond to the call. The morning roll-call will be at 6.30 am, and evening roll-call will be at 10 pm every night.
- Without the permission of the Superintendent, which shall be recorded in a book kept for the purpose, no student shall absent himself/herself from the hall between 10 pm and 6 am. If a boarder stays outside the hall any night between 10 pm to 6 am without the previous written permission of the Superintendent, he/she shall be liable to removal from the hall.
- No club or society shall be formed and no meeting shall be held within the compound of the hall without the previous permission of the superintendent in writing. No student shall give a party of entertainment in the hall without the previous permission of the Superintendent.
- A boarder shall not rebuke or chastise a darwan, a cook, a servant or any other employee of the hall for any reason whatsoever. If necessary, he/she may complain to Superintendent. No boarder shall employ a darwan for his/her personal business.
- The Common Room of the hall will be kept open usually between the period from 8.30 am to 10 am and 4pm to 7pm every day unless otherwise decided by the Superintendent for special reasons.
Boarders shall be liable to be fined by the Superintendent for any kind of misconduct ; serious offences shall be punishable with expulsion from the Hall by the Board of Residence.
If any boarder is expelled from the hall for any breach of rules, he/she will be liable to expulsion from the college to which he/she belongs.
Cases of infringement of rules and disobedience of orders shall be dealt with by the Superintendent who is authorised to impose fines in such cases. He/she shall report all cases of serious misconduct for consideration by the Board of Residence, and the decision of the Board shall be final.
No collective worship shall be permitted in any hall without the special permission of the Secretary of Board of Residence.
Water, Electricity, Furniture and Fixture :
- Boarders must take their bath only in the bathing places as provided for their use.
- All lights must be switched off when the occupants leave a room. Electric light will ordinarily be allowed upto 11.30pm. If a room locked from the outside is found with lights on, a fine of Rupees 10/- on each occasion will be imposed on the occupant or occupants of the room.
- No Furniture shall be removed from one place to another without the permission of the Superintendent /In- Charge of the hall.
- Damage done to furniture, fixtures, and utensils must be made good by the boarder or boarders causing it. If the boarder causing the damage is not detected, all the occupants of the room or rooms in which the damage is done will be held liable for such damage.
- Bulbs, holders, switches, etc. must not be changed by the boarders without the knowledge of the Superintendent / Asstt. Superintendent/In-Charge of the office of the B.R. Violation of this rule will make the boarder liable to a fine as determined by the authority.
- Any damage to the electric fitting in the rooms, passages, halls, etc. must be at once reported to the Superintendent / Asst. Superintendent / In-Charge of the office of the B.R. who will take necessary measures to repair the damage
Visitors and Non-residents :
- Only such person whose names have been recommended by the legal guardians and approved by the Superintendent be allowed to call at the Hall to see a boarder. Such a person has been described as a ‘Visitor’.
- Outsiders, whether friend or relatives of the students, are not, as a rule, allowed to reside in the hall. In emergent cases, such as serious illness of a boarder, parents or legal guardians may be allowed to stay with the previous written permission of the Superintendent/In-Charge of the hall for a period not exceeding 3 days.
- As a rule, lady visitors will not be allowed in the halls for men students. In emergent cases, only the Superintendent/In-Charge of the hall should use his discretionary power to allow any lady visitor such as, mother or sister of a sick boarder to visit him or to take him home.
- At 8 pm visitors and other outsiders must leave a hall for men students except those who may have special permission.
- Visitors will put their names, addresses, and the purpose of visit in the register maintained by the Superintendent before they are allowed to go in. The visitors must record their time of arrival and departure.
- In halls for girls the visiting days and hours will be fixed by the Superintendent, but in no case later than 8pm. Darwan shall report any boarder returning to the hall after 8 pm to the lady Superintendent. The gate of the hall shall be locked up at 9.30 pm and opened at 6 am everyday.
- Visitors may see a boarder in the visitors’ room or in the Common Room where there is no visitors’ room, only on fixed days and hours. A boarder may see a visitor on other days with the special permission of the Superintendent.
- All matters of urgency affecting a boarder must be referred by the Superintendent to the local guardian appointed by his/her father or guardian
Medical Aid :
Boarders may avail themselves of all medical facilities from Goenka Hospital Diagnostic Research Centre, 145, Muktaram Babu Street, Kolkata-6 under the supervision of the Superintendent of the concerned hall.
Norms/Guidelines of Selection of Boarders for Admission to the Undergraduate Halls/Hostels
- Distance from the railway station nearest to the student’s home town/village to Sealdah or Howrah railway station should be mentioned by the students as well as the mode of transport to accomplish this distance.
If the distance certificate furnished by a student appears to have exaggerated the distance, the selection committee shall have every right to cancel the application.
- Only Honours students shall be considered for selection.
- Second year students shall have priority over first year students but the distance from their home town/village to the University shall not be less than 60 km. Special priority may be given for lady students.
- Students, who are physically handicapped and furnish genuine proof and supporting medical certificate, may be considered with sympathy and a quota of 1% of the seats available in a hostel may be kept reserved for them. But in case of non-availability of such student, the vacancy may be filled-in from general quota.
- A quota of seats may be reserved for S.C. /S.T. students as per existing rules. But in case of non- availability of such applicants, the vacancy may be filled in from general quota.
- The V.L. Mitra U.G. Lady Students, Hall at 17, Radhanath Bose Lane, Calcutta-6 is meant for undergraduate lady students of all the undergraduate colleges in the city of Kolkata. But the students of such colleges which have hostels of their own shall not be considered for selection.
- The Carmichael Hall at 51, Baithakkhana Road, Calcutta-9 is meant exclusively for the Muslim students of both P.G and U.G. courses
Norms/Guidelines of Selection of Boarders for Admission to the Postgraduate Hall/Hostels
- Distance from the railway station nearest to the student’s home town/village to Sealdah or Howrah railway station should be mentioned by the students as well as the mode of transport to accomplish the distance. If the distance certificate furnished by a student appears to have exaggerated the distance, the selection committee shall have every right to cancel the application.
- Second year students shall have priority over first year students but the distance from their town/village to the University shall not be less than 60 km.
- Students who are physically handicapped and furnish genuine proof and supporting medical certificate, may be considered with due sympathy and a quota of 1% of the seats available in a hostel may be kept reserved for them. In case of non-availability of such students, other category of students shall be given seat.
- A quota of seats may be reserved for S.C./S.T. students as per existing rules.
- The Economics Hall at 165/1, South Sinthee Road, Kolkata-50 is meant for students of Economics. But in case of non-availability of such applicants the vacancies may be filled in from other subjects.
- The Technology Hall at 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata-19 is meant for men students of Technology. The Technology students who cannot be accommodated in Technology Hall may be provided accommodation in other P.G. Men Students’ Halls also.
- The Carmichael Hall at 51, Baithakkhana Road, Kolkata-9 is meant exclusively for the Muslim students of both P.G. and U.G. courses.
- The Buddhist Hall at Orphanage Lane, Kokata-12, although meant for Buddhist students is open to students of other community as well.
- The lady Students’ Hall at 51, Hazra Road is exclusively meant for lady law students of the University.
The above rules are subject to alternation and modification from time to time. The Board of Residence may issue new circular and rules as it may deem necessary for the management and maintenance of the Hall. Any case not covered by the rules shall be decided by the Board of Residence.